Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Grand Unified Theories
From: John F Sowa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 09:21:33 -0400
List-Id: "\[ontolog-forum\] " <ontolog-forum.ontolog.cim3.net>

Rich,

JFS
>> Physicists are not going to make a revolutionary change without
>> a lot more testing and analysis.

RC
> That is why there is a need for that tool.  Does something like
> Mathematica do that?

Mathematica is very widely used by mathematicians, physicists, and
engineers to check and work out the detailed symbolic analysis.

But there is no tool that we could even imagine today that would
automatically go through a century of publications in physics and
engineering, examine all the details, and repeat all the analysis
in terms of a totally different theory.

The human work wouldn't require an analysis of everything, but
it would at least require a very detailed exploration of the
currently best available theory:  quantum electrodynamics (QED).
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_electrodynamics

You don't have to read the whole article.  Just read the intro
and browse through the history for an overview of the issues.
QED integrates special relativity with quantum mechanics, but
not gravity and general relativity.

All those results assume that the speed of light is a universal
constant.  Any theory that assumes otherwise must be tested
against all those results (or at least some very representative
subset of them).

Physicists suspect that the issues about dark energy may lie
at the heart of the question of integrating quantum mechanics
with general relativity.  DU addresses the issue of dark energy.
The DU assumption that the speed of light is variable is a huge
stumbling block.

There are many proposals for integrating QED with general
relativity.  Physicists who are getting good results with QED
ignore them all.  To them, DU is just one more item to ignore.

John
 
_________________________________________________________________
Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/  
Config Subscr: http://ontolog.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontolog-forum/  
Unsubscribe: mailto:[email-masked]
Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/ 
To join: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J